5 Makeup Mistakes That Make You Look Older
You probably wear makeup to help you look younger, glowing, and radiant. However, as you get older and your skin begins to change, the makeup strategies that worked in the past may not work anymore. You’ll need to adapt your makeup routine.
When it comes to mature skin less makeup is often more effective. Are you ready to learn the makeup strategies to enhance your natural beauty instead of covering it up?
Keep reading to learn the secret to flawless makeup, plus common makeup mistakes that might make you look older.
This article will cover:
- Why skin health is more important than makeup
- Five makeup mistakes that age you
- Is a face primer necessary?
- How NassifMD® Hydro-Gel can help you look younger
Let’s jump in!
The Secret to Flawless Makeup
Before we cover the makeup mistakes you could be making, let’s be clear that no amount of makeup can make up for poor skin health. If you aren’t caring for your skin, makeup won’t hide it. Makeup can make your skin look worse.
The secret to flawless makeup is taking care of your skin.
As you get older, you may notice signs of aging that show up on your skin, such as:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Dry skin
- Uneven skin tone
- Age spots
- Changes in skin texture and pores
As your skin changes, you may need to give it more attention and adjust your routine. Consider four key factors in your skincare routine to improve skin health and appearance. These are:
- Exfoliate – Remove dead skin cells, buildup, and impurities to promote skin cell regeneration and a younger look.
- Nourish – Nourish the skin with the essential nutrients it needs. These nutrients come from a healthy, balanced diet and topical formulas containing hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, retinol, natural oils, and more.
- Hydrate – As you age, it becomes more challenging for the skin to retain moisture. Improving hydration plumps the skin and reduces fine lines and other signs of aging. Serums are helpful for hydration, while moisturizers and creams lock in the water.
- Protect – Your first line of defense against air pollution and UV radiation is antioxidants. Antioxidants come from your diet and topical application of vitamin C, aloe, rosemary, and plant extracts. Sunscreen provides another layer of protection against sun damage.
When you care for your skin by addressing these four areas, you won’t need to cover it with heavy makeup that makes you look older or draws attention to your flaws. Instead, you’ll be able to use natural and light makeup, allowing your skin to shine through.
Common Makeup Mistakes that Age You
Does your makeup make you look younger or older? Check out these top five makeup mistakes to uplevel your makeup routine with a less is more approach.
Using Heavy Foundation
Many women use heavy, cakey foundation to cover their skin or hide behind. The idea is that more makeup will cover age spots, fine lines, forehead wrinkles, and crows feet.
However, heavy foundation often has the opposite effect, as the makeup settles into pores and wrinkles. As makeup settles, it accentuates wrinkles and creases. Foundation can also be drying, which compounds the problem.
The solution is to prioritize skin health, avoid cakey makeup, and find makeup that doesn’t sink into wrinkles. It may require an individual approach and some trial and error. Try tinted moisturizer or a light liquid foundation.
Too Much Setting Powder
Like heavy foundations, too much setting powder can settle into fine lines and even highlight the spots you’re trying to cover. If you’re using heavy foundation and powder, it’s probably too much.
Moreover, if your skin is dry, powder can make it look and feel dryer by absorbing moisture and your skin’s natural oils. And dry skin makes fine lines and wrinkles look deeper.
If your skin is dry and aging, focus on skin hydration with ingredients like hyaluronic acid. Try a light dusting of powder or even skip it altogether in favor of a more moisturizing option.
Sparse Brows and Lashes
It’s normal to have some thinning of the brows and lashes with age, especially after menopause. Over plucking the eyebrows earlier in life may also contribute to sparse brows.
Since thin brows and lashes make you look older, use makeup to keep them looking fuller. You might fill in your brows with a brow powder, and don’t skip the mascara.
As discussed above, powders can settle into lines and contribute to an older, outdated look. The same goes for other makeup powders, especially shimmery eyeshadow. Eyeshadow can highlight the folds in your eyelids, making them more pronounced.
If you use eyeshadow, try a cream option that isn’t as drying, or a powder with a matte finish.
Not Using a Primer
When you were younger, you could probably wash your face, put on some moisturizer, and be good to go. But as you get older, if you are not using a face primer, you miss out on hydration, protection, and healing.
A quality face primer is essential. It will mattify skin, which makes makeup application smoother and your makeup last longer. It will help your skin look more hydrated, plump, and healthy, with or without makeup.
Be sure to choose a face primer with a synergy of nourishing ingredients, including hyaluronic acid.
If you are ready to prioritize your skin health as the foundation of your makeup routine, look no further than NassifMD® Hydro-Gel. It will be your new go-to face primer and the most essential tool in your makeup bag.
Use NassifMD® Hydro-Gel to prime the canvas (your face) for flawless makeup application. This product provides gentle exfoliation and powerful hydration to:
- Balance oil
- Improve skin hydration
- Smooth texture
- Even skin tone
- Reduce fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduce the appearance and size of pores
- Let your natural radiance shine through
NassifMD® Hydro-Gel is water-based and contains a synergy of evidence-based ingredients to hydrate and brighten the skin, including:
- Rosemary water – A skin calming water base that promotes firmness and elasticity while it soothes the skin
- Aloe vera – Contains protective antioxidants and helps hydrate and cool inflammation in the skin
- Hy-Retin – A hydrating hyaluronic acid compound where hyaluronic acid is bound to retinol to promote skin regeneration and anti-aging effects.
- Amiperfect ER – A wintergreen extract, a source of natural salicylic acid, that gently exfoliates, purifies pores, and improves skin appearance
- AcquaCell – A fruit complex (from watermelon, lentil, and apple) for smooth, clear, and hydrated skin
Pro tip: Apply NassifMD® Hydro-Gel after cleansing and detox pads (add link to detox pads article) and before your moisturizer and makeup.
What to expect: A refreshing, watery, soothing feel with a matte finish. Notice improved hydration, reduced fine lines and pore size, and better skin texture. You’ll also notice easier makeup application and better results from the makeup you use.
While makeup is a beautiful tool that helps you feel good about showing your face to the world, sometimes old makeup habits contribute to the look of aging skin. It’s time to rethink your makeup routine and the first step is focusing on skin health for a more youthful, radiant appearance.
- Pullar, J. M., Carr, A. C., & Vissers, M. C. M. (2017). The Roles of Vitamin C in Skin Health.Nutrients, 9(8), 866.
- Martic, I., Jansen-Dürr, P., & Cavinato, M. (2022). Effects of Air Pollution on Cellular Senescence and Skin Aging.Cells, 11(14), 2220.
- Juncan, A. M., Moisă, D. G., Santini, A., Morgovan, C., Rus, L. L., Vonica-Țincu, A. L., & Loghin, F. (2021). Advantages of Hyaluronic Acid and Its Combination with Other Bioactive Ingredients in Cosmeceuticals.Molecules (Basel, Switzerland), 26(15), 4429.